Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Seth's 30th Birthday Cake


Seth's four layer, 30th birthday cake was a huge hit so I thought I'd post the recipe. I bake him this cake every year, just not with quite so many layers.

I cannot take credit for the recipe. One of my best friends, Elizabeth Leonard, is the creator. She's so brilliant she actually baked this cake for my 30th and Seth went nuts over it so it's been his birthday cake ever since. I will, however, take credit for the fresh berries.

This cake is made from a box! Purchase 1-2 boxes (depending on how many layers you want) of dark chocolate cake. Preheat oven to 350° (double check the box) so that you can pop it in the oven the minute it's mixed.

To the box mixture, add half a bag of melted dark chocolate chips, a splash of real vanilla and a few shakes of cinnamon. Don't overly stir and make sure you use fresh eggs!

Check your cake with a toothpick five minutes before it's finished. Do not overcook. Leave cake in pans only 2-3 minutes.

Frosting: Cover the bottom of a sauce pan about an inch high with dark chocolate chips. Cover chips with heavy cream and stir until melted and blended. For this four layer cake, I used two bags of chocolate chips and spread it between each layer. The cake was so high we had to use chop sticks to keep it from falling over.

Cover with fresh strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blue berries.

I have to give props to my mother and mother-in-law who kept this four layer cake from being "The Leaning Tower of Chocolate."

KSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers