Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Secrets to Stove Top Steak



For years I've been wondering about the secret to a really delicious home-cooked steak. It's hard for us New Yorkers...it's illegal to cook outside on a grill! So we have to improvise.

As usual, I found the most amazing advice in my cookbook "The New Best Recipe" pg 388.

1. Heat a heavy-bottomed nonreactive 12-inch skillet over high heat until very hot. Meanwhile, season both sides of the steaks with salt and pepper to taste.

2. Lay the steaks in the pan, leaving 1/4 inch of space between them. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook, not moving the steaks until they are well browned, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, flip the steaks; cook 4 minutes more for rare, 5 minutes more for medium-rare, and 6 minutes more for medium. Transfer the steaks to a large plate, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes while preparing a pan sauce.

I will typically saute garlic & onions on my skillet before I cook the steaks, just to add flavor. My husband Seth doesn't like onions, but since I was making dinner for a girlfriend, it worked out well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers